Melissa Engle is a Partner of White and Bright and rated AV® Preeminent™ through Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Engle’s legal practice focuses on litigation, primarily involving real estate, business disputes, and employment law. In particular, she assists numerous businesses and brokerages in various suits, ranging from non-disclosure actions, real estate transaction disputes, wrongful termination and discrimination claims, partnership and shareholder disputes, breaches of contract, indemnification issues, and other commercial and residential real estate matters.
Ms. Engle also represents various small businesses in transactional matters such as vendor disputes, commercial leases, independent contractor contracts, employment contracts, vendor and customer contracts, licenses, intellectual property protection and licensing, and general counsel representation as needed.
Ms. Engle advocates and urges each of her clients to undertake preventative legal services in order to avoid potential legal disputes before they happen. She is passionate about educating her clients on how to avoid lawsuits, attorneys’ fees, costs, stress, wasted time, and the uncertainty that comes with litigation. This includes assisting small businesses with their business formation, real estate acquisitions, vendor contracts, licenses, employment policies, handbooks, management training, and human resources development.
Prior to White and Bright, Ms. Engle was an associate at two boutique San Diego litigation firms where her practice focused on civil litigation with an emphasis on employment, intellectual property, and business matters. She started her legal career focused on personal injury lawsuits as well as both personal and business reorganizations through Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies. She also litigated various adversary proceedings on behalf of creditors.
Aside from her legal practice, Ms. Engle serves as an adjunct professor at University of San Diego School of Law where she teaches Legal Research and Civil Litigation, among other courses.
Ms. Engle lives in San Diego with her husband, a fellow employment law attorney, and their dog, Ted.
- J.D., California Western School of Law
Co-founder, CWSL Intellectual Property, Technology & Telecommunications Clinic
Andrea Johnson Telecommunications Award
- B.A., History, University of California, Los Angeles
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Fiorenzo V. Lopardo American Inn of Court, Barrister
- San Diego North County Bar Association, Board Member & Co-Chair of Civil Litigation Section
- State Bar of California
- AV® Preeminent™ rated in Labor and Employment, Litigation, and Intellectual Property, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2015-2022
- San Diego Magazine – Top Attorneys, 2015-2022
- Judgment for $13.8 million representing a small film production company in a lawsuit for fraud and breach of contract against its former investors.
- Judgment for $2.7 million against a former business partner in a cross-complaint alleging fraud, amongst other claims.
- Defense judgment for a Texas-based technology company in a lawsuit brought by a former vendor, alleging breach of contract, fraud, and failure to supervise employees.
- Defense judgment for employee by a previous customer alleging breach of contract, unfair competition and intentional interference with contract.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Top Three Issues That Get You Sued - February 2023 - Presentation for local real estate brokerage
- Red Flags and the Non-Disclosure of Material Facts - February 2023 - Presentation for local real estate brokerage
- Top Three Issues That Get You Sued - October 2022 - Presentation for local real estate brokerage
- Avoiding Practice Management Pitfalls for Solos and Small Firms – December 2015 - MCLE Presentation for Attorneys
- How to Protect Your Brand Using Trademarks – August 2015 - Bellatrix PC
- Corporate Transactional Ethical Responsibilities – June 2014 - California Alliance of Paralegal Associations
White and Bright News & Blog
May 16th, 2022
Melissa Engle, a partner at White and Bright, LLP, has been named a 2022 San Diego Rising Star by Super Lawyers. This is the seventh consecutive year that Ms. Engle has been recognized with this award; this repeated recognition serves as a testament… Read More
March 31st, 2021
Melissa Engle, a partner at White and Bright, LLP, has been named a 2021 San Diego Rising Star by Super Lawyers. This is the sixth consecutive year that Ms. Engle has been recognized with this award; this repeated recognition serves as a testament to… Read More
January 7th, 2021
White and Bright, LLP is pleased to announce the promotion of Melissa Engle to the status of newest partner at the firm. For the previous five years, Ms. Engle has been an associate attorney at White and Bright, focusing on real property litigation a… Read More
August 18th, 2020
Melissa Engle, a partner at White and Bright, LLP, has been named a 2020 San Diego Rising Star by Super Lawyers. This is the fifth consecutive year that Ms. Engle has been recognized with this award; this repeated recognition serves as a testament to… Read More
April 9th, 2019
White and Bright, a North County San Diego-based law firm for more than 37 years, announced today that two of its attorneys were named as San Diego Rising Stars in 2019 by Super Lawyers – Melissa Engle and Liam Perry. This is the fourth consecutive… Read More
March 30th, 2018
White and Bright announced today that two of its attorneys were named 2018 San Diego “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers – Fred Pfister and Melissa Engle. This is the third consecutive year that Mr. Pfister and Ms. Engle have been recognized with t… Read More