David Bright is a founding partner of White and Bright (1981) and has recently retired from the firm. Mr. Bright has extensive trial experience with an emphasis on complex real estate, business, and trust cases. He also lead the firm’s transactional group with an emphasis on real estate matters.
In addition to earning his J.D. from the University of San Diego School of Law, Mr. Bright graduated from Pepperdine University’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, a leading international program that provides comprehensive mediation training.
Mr. Bright has testified as an expert witness in the California Superior Court on real estate issues.
- Real Estate Litigation
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Wills and Trusts Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1974
- B.A., cum laude, University of California, Los Angeles, 1971
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- State Bar of California
- San Diego North County Bar Association, Past President
- Fiorenzo V. Lopardo American Inn of Court, Founding Member and Master
- Judge Pro Tem of the California Superior Court
- Court-Appointed Arbitrator and Special Discovery Master
- California Association of Realtors®
Legal Affairs Committee
Standard Forms Committee
Strategic Defense Attorney Referral Panel
- Realtor® University, Chicago, IL (confers post-graduate degrees in real estate)
Chairman, Code of Conduct Committee
- AV® Preeminent™ rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Attorney of the Year, North County Bar Association (2011-2012)
- Judgment for $11.7M in representing a beneficiary of a trust against the trustee, exceeding trust assets by more than $10M.
- Defense judgment in Ummel v. Remax, successfully representing a buyer’s broker. This case gained national recognition and was reported on by various media outlets.
- Defense judgment successfully representing a buyer’s broker and agent in a case brought by the buyer, regarding purchase of a multi-million dollar house in La Jolla, California.
- Lead counsel for successful defense in Padgett v. Phariss, 54 Cal.App.4th 1270, a reported case which remains the law in California pertaining to broker’s duties, or lack thereof.
- Counsel for hundreds of real estate brokers and agents, retained by insurance carriers for defense of claims brought against licensees, as well as defense representation against the DRE.
- Represented Associations of Realtors® for more than twenty-five years as corporate counsel.
- Represents parties in wills and trust litigation involving complex issues including, but not limited to, breach of fiduciary duty, surcharge, copyright issues, real estate issues, accountings, and objections thereto.
- Represents sellers of land to developers, including drafting of documents relating to sales, transactions, and commercial leases.
- Successful representation of a Fortune 500 developer in a dispute with a buyer over a $10M pre-released deposit.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer in real estate law and counsel to the North San Diego County Association of Realtors® and Pacific Southwest Association of Realtors®
- Created and teaches DRE-approved courses for real estate licensees’ continuing education courses
- Frequent lecturer on real estate issues, including short sales, REO properties, and foreclosures
- California Real Estate Broker, Law and Litigation (4th Ed. CEB) – Editor
- Boys and Girls Club of Escondido, Past President
- California Center for the Arts, Escondido, Former Trustee
- Sponsor of various charitable events for many years